Dear Ethan -

Dear Ethan ...

I haven't wanted to write this post, because then it might really mean that you aren't resting in your Mama's arms anymore; but I know that tonight and every night ever after you are gazing with wonder into the beautiful and loving face of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I heard you went into the Mansions of the Lord Jesus 8 days ago, I heard you ran forth into that glorious Land to the sound of your parents cheering and praying you in, I heard you left our land to go to our true Home in the wee, breaking hours ... of the dawning morning.

"Every morning that breaks,
there are mercies anew,

every breath I will take

is Your faithfulness proved
and at the end of each day,

when my labors are through,
I will sing of Your mercies anew."
(2001 Sovereign Grace Music)

I cannot believe it has been 2 weeks since I first met you....you really didn't want to smile at me at first, not until you saw Mrs. Serven, and you laughed as she touched your hand ... and soon afterwards, you relaxed and smiled into my face unreservedly. As I sang your name, held your hand, and brushed your soft brown hair off your beautiful forehead, you captured my heart, little man .... you and your Mama together.

Your Mama - clearly loved you to distraction .... and I watched her hurry downstairs to get a wet paper towel and wipe your little feet and hands and swipe your flushed cheeks, "gettin' all clean", I said, as I tickled your tummy, and listened to you chuckle and talked to your daddy.

I knew that every moment I spent with you was special, sweet boy, because you would see Jesus sooner than we would, and that your parents had known for a long time .... I'm sure you touched more than one life with your precious and joyous spirit, even though I only knew you for a few hours. You made a difference to me, Ethan, and I praise Jesus for you!!

"Praise Him, praise Him,
all ye little children,
God is love, God is love;
Praise Him, praise Him,
all ye little children,
God is love, God is love."

Ethan's Mama, Mrs. Y., and Ethan, and Julie K.

At first, unsure of me ...

Not so, when Mrs. Serven appeared -

... soon, you rarely stopped smiling ...





Some other people talked to your mama then, and I stepped away to get some water, but I saw you look around and occasionally, your glance would rest on me, and when I waved, you would burst into one of the most beautiful smiles I ever have seen...and I melted with love for you, little boy.
I left that day, knowing I had met you, Ethan, you who I have prayed for, and thought of, you and all your family ....

The very morning, one week ago, that I learned you left our land to enter the riches and glories of Heaven's joys, that very morning, before I learned, I had been scrolling through my pictures of you, smiling at your dear face, and thinking of the post that would say "To Mrs.Y", and then ... and now .... it is so very different than what I wanted it to say, and yet, it was everything I wanted it to say.

.... I love you, sweet Ethan, and will treasure every minute memory I have of you giggling at me, and holding onto my fingers, and the way you listened to your daddy's voice, smiled into your mama's eyes, and the very memory of your smile.

.... I know so many loved you more than I, especially your family.

.... and I take comfort, knowing that Jesus, He loved you best.

I know you listen to the angels sing and the people cry out all day long, "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty, and worthy is He to be praised!", but I want to post in your honor, and for our comfort, a favorite hymn of mine ....

In the comfort of our Lord,
He doeth all things well,

~ Jean Marie
Psalm 103

Dearest Y. family - I love you, and am praying for you. Many hugs to Mrs. Y. :)

"Children of the Heavenly Father" (1858)
A Swedish hymn by: Karolina W. Sandell-Berg.
"Children of the heav’nly Father
Safely in His bosom gather;
Nestling bird nor star in Heaven
Such a refuge e’er was given.

God His own doth tend and nourish;
In His holy courts they flourish;
From all evil things He spares them;
In His mighty arms He bears them.

Neither life nor death shall ever
From the Lord His children sever;
Unto them His grace He showeth,
And their sorrows all He knoweth.

Though He giveth or He taketh,
God His children ne’er forsaketh;
His the loving purpose solely
To preserve them pure and holy.

Lo, their very hairs He numbers,
And no daily care encumbers
Them that share His ev’ry blessing
And His help in woes distressing.

Praise the Lord in joyful numbers,
Your Protector never slumbers;
at the will of your Defender
every foeman must surrender.

More secure is no one ever
than the loved ones of the Savior;
not yon star on high abiding
nor the bird in home-nest hiding."

Comments

  1. What a sweet and handsome little fellow, He is truely a blessing as all children are from the Lord. My heart and prayers are with you Mrs. Y and family.

    Your Friend and Brother in Christ
    Joel Gaffney

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet precious blessing from the Lord. Our hearts break for you, yet we look forward with great anticipation to what the Lord will do with this tear-filled providence. Our prayers go out for you...May the One who keeps you, give you the peace that passes all understanding.
    Here is an encouraging old hymn by William Cowper...

    You fearful saints;
    First, courage take.
    The clouds you so much dread
    Are big with mercy
    And will break in blessings on your head.
    Judge not by feeble sense,
    But trust Him for His grace.
    Behind a frowning providence,
    He hides a smiling face.
    His purposes will ripen fast;
    Unfolding every hour.
    The bud may have a bitter taste,
    But sweet will be the flower.
    Blind unbelief is sure to err
    And scan His work in vain;
    God is His own interpreter
    And He will make it plain.

    ~ William Cowper

    Lots of Love & Prayers...
    The Burnsed's

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will certainly be praying for this beautiful little boy's family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am praying for the family of this dear little man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs Y and family - I'm sorry to hear this very sad news... may God be very near to you all. I'll be praying.

    Those are such lovely pictures of Ethan. What a cute little boy!

    This is a beautifully written post, Jean.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for blessing me by leaving me a comment! I always love reading what you write!