A Treasure Trove of Apollo History -

Hello, ya'll!! Today is the 40th anniversary of the liftoff of Apollo 11 on board a Saturn V rocket to space! The Apollo11 mission that put man on the moon, on July 20th, 1969, - Neil Armstrong, closely followed by "Buzz" Aldrin, and Michael Collins in the command module. I will post on the 20th of the actual day, but today I am sure, 40 yrs. ago, was an incredibly exciting and victorious day, not just for "our boys", but for the entire Kennedy Space Center and all of America, as they waited and watched in anticipation. :)

All this waiting and watching...my goodness, I've been reading up on Apollo 11, there are so many things that I never knew that I am learning! I'm putting up here some resources for you to look at and read and just - sit in awe at the wonder of it all. :) The exploration of God's mighty world! I encourage you to go to these links and "have a look" as Sadie Beth would say. :)

Remembering Apollo 11 - The Big Picture
These pictures are gathered and put together, with captions revoking true awe. I must say, I took about 20 mins. looking at these pics, they are quite inspiring and just flat-out incredible. Reading the comments at the bottom is not necessarily recommended.

Just in case you wanted to know (which you don't), I stared at #9 for 4 straight minutes, struggled not to get tears in my eyes on #12 and #13, and declared most almost fervently (how's that for clarity?) #15 my favorite picture in the whole wide world. I stared and stared and my soul welled up in Hallelujahs of the God that loveth me, who laid the foundations of the deep, and from nothing created this ball of water and dirt to become all I've known as home. #19 looks like nothing until you see #20, and then you just can't fathom it at all, #24, is it just me, or does Neil have tears in his eyes?, #36 & #37 - What hath God Almighty wrought? Amazing.

NASA on Apollo 11's 40th Anniversary
- Wow. That's all I can say. I've spent at least 3 hrs. in 2 days on here, reading, looking at pictures, exploring all their fun exploring things, I was, to say the least, "excessively diverted". Haha!! :D I have yet to listen to the mission audio, it is almost guaranteed that I will cry, but I did explore the landing site on the moon and the Eagle, and my jaw dropped. (you know, I really hope my children love all this as much as I do, and are as easily amused as I am, because really.... my parents have it so good. Well, kind of.... :))

The normal NASA page is also chock full of interesting and amazing things, the old B&W image of the day from the 60's was just way neat to me. :)

So, here's to the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 launch! Hip, hip, hurrah!!! To God be the glory!

My soul wells up with Hallelujahs,
~ Jean Marie

Comments