Sunday Reflections (2) -
Sunday Reflections Week 2! :)
Wow. I can't tell if I am overloaded with thought, or if I just have too much to type out. Looking back on last week's though, I'm sure that this will be less! :) It was difficult to kick myself into blogging tonight. I went out this evening near our house and tromped around through some very sticky weeds and tons of bugs to take some late summer light pictures.
It.was.beautiful. sooo so beautiful. When I see beautiful light, I just can't help praising God. :)
So the pictures are from tonight, and I'm including the sermon notes from church this morning. Of course, this isn't a note-by-note sort of thing, just what struck me as our pastor preached. He preached on the covenant that was established by Christ as our sacrifice, our covenant through the blood that He shed for us.
Sunday, October 2nd, 2011
"But now in Christ Jesus you who were once far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ." ~ Ephesians 2:13
"To Him who loves us and has freed us from our sins in His own blood, and has made us a kingdom, priests to His God and Father, to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen." ~ Revelation 1:5b - 6
Scripture: Exodus 24:1-11
A. God lowers Himself to His people in a covenant of grace, an altar and sacrifice established because God knew we could not be holy and without sin. God had no illusions about us turning out perfectly, because we are under the curse of the Fall.
1. The sacrificial blood = sign of sin's payment; our greatness of sin; and also a symbol of God's mercy.
2. The covenantal marriage between God and us is because of Christ's work on the cross. We are bound together by sacrifice and grace.
3. God sets the standard: absolute, full obedience and righteousness. He would not lower the bar for His children, so that we could "live up to it", because that would be unloving, but instead took the sacrifice and the punishment upon Himself to redeem us fully.
4. "I believe in the forgiveness of sins" = a huge statement. His blood, fully, completely, once and for all, paid the price for the sins of His people. All of our sins: from the cradle to the grave.
5. I am as if Christ's perfect law-keeping on Earth has been my record instead.
6. God doesn't say "Live this way, and perhaps you will make it into my love and my inheritance and family." No! He says "You are Mine. Bought with a price. Now, live like a daughter of Mine, a member of the Royal Inheritance."
"No condemnation now I dread; Jesus and all in Him, is Mine!
Alive in Him, my living Head, and clothed in righteousness divine!
Bold I approach the eternal throne, and claim the crown, through Christ, my own!
Amazing love! How can it be, that Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?!"
Full assurance! The Son of God, Jesus Christ's blood sprinkled on us ... we are guilt- free, abounding in mercy from God above = we are redeemed!!! Children of the covenant. Children of the Promise. Fully and Forever - Children of God.
"Redeemed, how I love to proclaim it! Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb;
Redeemed through His infinite mercy, His child and forever I am!
Redeemed, Redeemed, Redeemed by the blood of the Lamb!
Redeemed, Redeemed, His child and forever I am!"
~ Isaiah 54:9-10 ~
"For this is like the waters of Noah to Me;
For as I have sworn that the waters of Noah would no longer cover the earth,
So have I sworn that I would not be angry with you, nor rebuke you.
For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed,
but my kindness shall not depart from you, Nor shall my covenant of peace be removed,"
Says the Lord, who has mercy on you."
I think I need to read this and re-read this. :) In fact, our pastor reminded us to preach the gospel to ourselves every day! Let us continue in the good work the Lord has set before us.
Because of Christ, we are loved, accepted and forgiven by God. Glory!!!
With love, and a restful heart,
~ Jean Marie ~