Sunday Reflections (19) -

This morning I woke up to my whole world dripping water. I thought it was a heavy dew, as Florida springs forth those often, to replenish the earth after the high heat, but upon further inspection, I realized it had rained overnight. The water was dripping from the Spanish moss from the oak trees, and the sun was bursting through. I stood for a few moments to admire and to delight. So beautiful! I don't know about you, but sunbeams bursting through heavy oaks to light up rain and bugs and sand just takes my breath away and leaves me in tears sometimes. 


And I thought it was the perfect day to share my currently favorite page of a book right now, on Sunday Reflections. Usually I read about five pages of this book, because I can't get enough of it, but the last 2 weeks, I've been stuck here, staying here, because it is what I need to remember every morning. 

I read it every day I was sick and sad. And I'm still reading it every day. It was, I thought, a wonderful way to look at the sad month of anniversaries of October. And after hearing from some friends of their griefs and praying right along with them, I thought we needed it more than ever. I hope and pray you are as blessed by it as I am.

With much love always, 
~ Jean Marie ~ 

It is from "Beside Still Waters" by Charles Haddon Spurgeon. 
(My currently favorite book to read, aside from the Bible) 
Italics added by me. 

"In Days of Trials" ~ Deut. 33:27 ~ by C.H. Spurgeon

"Some of you are enduring deep affliction. In your extraordinary trial, remember the depth of divine faithfulness. You may be unable to comprehend why, but I urge you to believe in the firmness and stability of divine affection. You will have comfort in proportion to your trials. If you have shallow trials, you shall have shallow graces. If you have deep afflictions you will obtain deeper proof of God's faithfulness. 

I could lay down and die when I think of life's trials, but like Sarah (Gen.21:6) I recover and laugh when I remember that the eternal God is our refuge and that underneath are the everlasting arms (Deut.33:27). 

God will not fail. God will not take away His hand until He has finished His purpose concerning us. 

Great trials bring great promises. Much afflicted one, there are great and mighty words that are not meant for saints of easier experiences. You will drink from the deep golden goblets reserved for those giants who can drink a great portion of wormwood, but God will also supply deep drinks of the well-refined wines on the lees (Is. 25:6). 

Trials greatly enlarge the soul. Thus I do not want, in my better mind, to escape great trials, since they involve great graces. If my strength shall be as my days (Deut. 33:25), then let my days be long and dark, for my strength will be mighty, God will be glorified, and I will be blessed. I earnestly urge every tested Christian to dwell on this truth, for it may be a great comfort. 

There is love, immortal, unchanging love, in Heaven toward you, which will never grow cold. You will be helped. God would sooner cease to be than cease to be faithful. Be of good courage, for today He will strengthen your heart." 

Comments