The China Sessions: 6 -

* I originally posted this on Instagram for Martha's Birthday 3 days ago, 
but I wanted to share the story on here as well, because of how special it is. *


On one of the last days at the orphanage, Martha, our PA team member, Anna, and our translator, Gary, 
came into my baby room to do an assessment on a few babies, and for half an hour, Martha wasn't needed as a Team Leader.

There was a lightness in her as she sat down on the mat to play and hold.
She made the rounds, kissing little fingers and exclaiming over victories and loving on the babies.

A few moments later, as I was cradling Joel in my arms who was having a meltdown moment, 
I looked across the room from the window and saw my nän hái, my CJ, cradled in her arms.

Cheek to cheek, he pulled back to look at her and the hugest grin crossed his face.
He looked around the room for me, and when he found me smiling, he snuggled closer into her.

Forehead to forehead, I could see her lips moving, and knew she was speaking over him. 

Tears filled my eyes and love filled my heart. 
Then she was singing to him.....she knew he was my boy. 

Never have I ever felt the strength and connection of the family of Christ more than in that moment.

Suddenly I was struck that what I felt was as if we were at a family reunion and my 
favorite Aunt had just scooped up my son and was doting on him; was really SEEING him for the first time.

It was SO REAL. 

And then I blinked and it wasn't true. But it was real

Because this is God's heart for adoption, and this is God's heart for His church and people. 

"The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God..." ~ Romans 8:16

A knowing so strong that it IS REAL: that we are family because our Father ties us together.
We are His Beloved, and He holds us all close and calls us daughters and sons. 

It was one of the most special moments to watch Martha with CJ, and I'll never forget it. 

With love always,
~ Jean Marie ~ 

Comments