Christs' treasury in Heaven -




This morning I decided I was in some sore need of "The Loveliness of Christ" by Samuel Rutherford, and so I chose it as my morning devotions on the day when I knew I'd have less pondering to do than the day before, and a good need for grace, which several friends may attest to, after chatting with me last night. :) Ahem. (Thank you, A.!)

I fell in love with Rutherford's ponderings all over again, in my little red book, and thought so many of them so very beautiful, that I thought it a good sequel to my "Trust" post, to write some of these up, and hope that you receive the same encouragement as I did. I will start with one of my favorites, that, in contrast to last night, quickly brought my attention to mind, and swiftly brought some peace back into the heart of this "poor little soul". :) I'm putting little page numbers up for those of you who have the "little red book", so you may read as well.

(pg. 6) "They are not lost to you that are laid up in Christ's treasury in heaven. At the resurrection ye shall meet with them: there they are, sent before but not sent away. Your Lord loveth you, who is homely to take and give, borrow and lend."

(pg. 11) "He taketh the bairns(children) in his arms when they come to a deep water; at least, when they lose ground, and are put to swim, then His hand is under their chin."

(pg.12) "I know, we may say, that Christ is kindest in His love when we are at our weakest; and that if Christ had not been to the fore, in our sad days, the waters had gone over our soul."

(pg14) (this was last night's verse. :) ) "Go where ye will, your soul shall not sleep sound but in Christ's bosom". (yes, I slept sound last night)

(pg. 19) (ah, what bliss) "When we shall come home and enter to the possession of our Brother's fair kingdom, and when our heads shall find the weight of the eternal crown of glory, and when we shall look back to pains and sufferings; then shall we see life and sorrow to be less than one step or stride from a prison to glory; and that our little inch of time - suffering is not worthy of our first night's welcome home to heaven."

(pg. 20) "Lay all your loads and your weights by faith upon Christ. Ease yourself, and let him bear all. He can, he does, he will bear you."

(pg. 28) "One year's time of heaven shall swallow up all sorrows, even beyond all comparison."

(pg. 29) (oh yes) "Fall down and make a surrender of those that are gone, and these that are yet alive, to Him. And for you, let him have all; and wait for himself, for he will come and will not tarry. Live by faith...He cannot die whose ye are."

(pg. 33) "Send a heavy heart up to Christ, it shall be welcome."

(pg. 35) "I find His sweet presence eateth out the bitterness of sorrow and suffering."

(pg. 39) "Sure I am, He is the far best half of heaven; yea he is all heaven, and more than all heaven."

(pg. 52) "If there were ten thousand, thousand millions of worlds, and as many heavens full of men and angels, Christ would not be pinched to supply all our wants, and to fill us all."

(pg. 59) "Let Christ know how heavy, and how many a stone weight you, and your cares, burdens, crosses, and sins are; let him bear all: make the heritage sure to yourself: get charters and writs passed and through, and put on arms for the battle, and keep you fast by Christ, and then let the wind blow out of what airt it will your soul will not blow in the sea."

(pg. 73-74) "Be content to wade through the waters betwixt you and glory with him, holding his hand fast; for he knoweth all the fords. Howbeit ye may be ducked, yet ye cannot drown, being in his company. Be not afraid, therefore, when ye come even to the black and swelling river of death to put in your foot and wade after him; the current, how strongsoever, cannot carry you down; the Son of God, his death and resurrection, are stepping-stones and a stay to you; set down your feet by faith upon these stones and go through as on dry land; if ye knew what he is preparing for you, ye would be too glad." (amen!)

I hope you have been as encouraged as I have ....
This is a great Christmas present, by the way! :)
May Christ become more lovely in our eyes,
and may we drink deep from the endless fountain
of the richest supply of Himself,
with love,
~ Jean Marie

Comments

  1. I love this little book! So encouraging, helpful, and prodding. The one about loved ones laid up in Christ's treasury has been my constant companion these past years. And my very favorite is "Every day we may discover some new thing in Christ. His love hath neither brim nor bottom."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean,I love reading your heart-- you might also wish to ponder upon "Altogether Lovely"--the sermon by CH Spurgeon, a lovely companion to this.
    Oh, for Heaven to hold our hearts and perspectives as we walk the dusty path of earth!
    Love you, mcd

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for blessing me by leaving me a comment! I always love reading what you write!